Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Moleskine Journal: Common Availability, Uncommon Quality

A while ago, I wrote about the raw utility of the travel journal in Travel Gear Highlight: Travel Journal. In the comments to that post, a reader noted that I should try a Moleskine journal.

Since December of last year, I've been carrying a small black Moleskine (3 1/2" by 5 1/2") on all of my travels, and it's now full of notes from my adventures. I've been quite impressed with it. It traveled with me to Moscow, Sweden, Italy, all over the United States and through a cross country move. Needless to say, it's been through a lot.

Despite all it's been through, my little Moleskine only shows some minor wear at the corners and some staining from a peach that was accidentally left to rot in my bag. Other than that, it has remained in great condition. The quality of this journal's construction continues to impress me. It's built of quality components, and it's built to last.

The quality of the Moleskine becomes all the more apparent when compared with a journal of similar design yet inferior quality. I've used several journals for other projects that were obviously inspired by the Moleskine design, which were made by the Picadilly company. With much lighter use, the components began to fail.

The ribbons fell out and the elastic bands quickly lost their stretch. A loose elastic band may seem like a small detail, but it could allow the journal to open and become damaged while bouncing around in a backpack. Damage to the corners of the Picadilly journals were also evident far before similar damage was found on the Moleskine.

It should be noted that the Picadilly journals are much less expensive at around $4.00 USD while the same size Moleskine costs $10.00 USD.

I have to admit that before I used the Moleskine I was a bit skeptical about it being of legendary quality. Now, there is no doubt in my mind; this is the best journal that I have ever used.

If you've enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to the RSS feed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment