Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Two Years of Graham's Travel Blog

Photograph by Nicole Holt

At midnight on May 26th, 2010, something of note happened on the internet. No one took notice, and I have to admit that I slept right though it, but it was something that I had been anticipating for quite some time. On that date and time, Graham's Travel Blog became 2 years old.

This is quite an achievement in a world where the attention span of the collective population seems to be measured in hours. In today's day and age, anything lasting for two years on the internet seems like an increment on the geological timescale.

For me, it's been quite a journey. When I started, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to accomplish and an understanding of the English language that is best described as "functional", but I had no idea what I would learn or how far my writing would reach.

In the past two years, I've not only written over 100 articles but I've also improved my writing skills and made some new friends along the way. I've found that maintaining this blog has been a rewarding experience, and I am glad that I've continued to keep it up.

One of the unexpected and rewarding things of writing a blog has finding out who regularly reads what I've been writing. Not surprisingly, people that know in real life make up the majority of my regulars, but there are a few that I've never even met . This brings me a smile every time I think about it. After all, my mom has to read my blog, but there's not reason for anyone else to read my musings.

Not all of the articles that I've written have been great, but I've stuck with it and published something every week without fail. I'd take a few minutes and reflect upon a few of my articles that continue to be popular long after the publish button had been clicked.

Walking Across the George Washington Bridge
Going for a walk over the George Washington Bridge was something that I'd wanted to do for a long time and it turns out that it's been on many other people's list of things to do as well.

Not a day goes by where someone, somewhere in the world doesn't read this article. That any one particular piece of writing has been read by so many people pleases me to no end. One reader even mentioned that they had always wanted to walk across the bridge, but had put it off for years. After reading my article, they commented that they were inspired to finally do it. I hope that that reader finally made the walk.

What Airplane Ear is and How to Avoid It
Airplane ear was something that I had never heard of until I was stricken by it, and it was terrible. Getting the chance to educate people on a potentially serious yet little known medical condition was a nice change of pace from my normal lighthearted articles.

Oddly enough, this article did much better than my article about pinball wrist, go figure.

Sleeping in the Frankfurt Airport
When I wrote about my rough night in Frankfurt, I had no idea how many people sleep in the Frankfurt airport every day. Being an international airport, Frankfurt has flights coming in all the time with overnight layovers being common. One reader even contacted me about a rumor that was being spread around that you could no longer sleep in the Frankfurt airport. Thankfully this isn't true, but that's a story for another day.

Aside from these few popular pages, Graham's Travel Blog continues to have a small, but loyal, following.

I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me along the way, especially my wife, Nicole, who regularly contributes her photography and editing skills to this blog.

It's been a great two years of writing for me, and I hope that it's been good for you. If you have a favorite article that I have written, please let me know in the comment selection below.

If you've enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to the RSS feed.

6 comments:

  1. WHOOOHOO! :D

    I found your blog when I was researching the FRANKFURT airport for my big trip to spain last year! Do you remember that? Random, I know. :) We chatted a bit about the electrical outlet situation, friended eachother on twitter, and I've been a loyal reader since! Cheers on the 2 year accomplishment, Graham!

    **throws confetti!**

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be biased, but my favorite is still Queue Madness. Thanks for the thanks. I'm proud of you and your travel blog, Graham.

    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graham, Happy 2nd anniversay. Count me amoung your loyal weekly readers.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham! Congrats! It's not every day a 30-something year old gets to celebrate turning two!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2nd Blogoversary! I only started blogging in February. Seems so long ago! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo to 2! I have enjoyed reading your blog regularly and so many of them gave me a chuckle. I really like your writing style. So glad to have "met" you on this www. Cheers to many more years of blogging Graham.

    ReplyDelete